Final Filtration, Sewage Wastewater, Wastewater Treatment Plant – Cape Town
Kleerflo Automatic Self-Cleaning Filter
Client: City of Cape Town
Industry: Sewage Wastewater
Region: Western Cape, South Africa
Product: Kleerflo (various models)
Installation Date: From 2008, Ongoing
- The City of Cape Town operates 19 Sewage Wastewater Treatment Plants. At some plants they re-use final treated effluent.
- Applications include spray water on the dewatering presses, irrigation water for agriculture and recreational facilities, process water for industrial clients and polymer make-up water.
- The final treated effluent contains suspended solids that can block downstream spray nozzles or that are in excess of industrial/agricultural client acceptance standards.
- The City required efficient, in-line filtration that would deliver compliant, uninterrupted water supply to their own processes and to their customers
- Maintenance and downtime needed to be at a minimum.
- Final Filtration / Spray nozzle protection
- Final Filtration / Industrial re-use.
- Design of the Kleerflo filter is rooted in the principle of inherent simplicity:
- no rotating parts – very few moving parts
- no close tolerance elements – no electric motor
- high quality, durable, stainless steel wedgewire screens.
- Kleerflo filters are designed specifically for tough industrial applications.
- On trial 24/7/365 for more than 3 decades and still standing tall.
- Low maintenance- and running costs.
- Long uninterrupted filter runs, efficient filtration and filtrate in compliance with client acceptance standards.
- Integral processing of oversized particles – so no manual pre-screens required.
- Since 2008 the City has installed Kleerflo Automatic Self-Cleaning filters at 9 of their plants where they re-use treated effluent.
- At Athlone Wastewater Treatment Plant the City installed 3 x Kleerflo model CS5E3 primary filters with 500µm screens and 3 x Kleerflo model CS3E3 secondary filters with 130µm screens.
- Total peak flow – 1800m³/h.
- The Kleerflo filters have provided consistent and reliable filtration.
- Filtrate is supplied in compliance with suspended solids acceptance standards set by clients.
- Kleerflo filters are now specified in preference to disk filters